Learning how to sell furniture online is a great business idea
Furniture. We utilize it daily. It combines form and function while reflecting our style and individuality.
That is precisely why mastering selling furniture online is such an excellent business opportunity. For example, many people shop for furniture online—estimated that furniture and home goods sales account for 12.3% of all eCommerce sales in the United States.
Generally, there are numerous ways to get started selling furniture online. For example, you can create your designs, build your furniture, or resell items you’ve found at a lesser price, such as thrift store bargains or things you’ve restored and “flipped.”
This essay will discuss developing, building, and growing a successful online furniture business. Additionally, you’ll learn the necessary procedures to get started.
In This Post
7-step guide to launching an online furniture business
- Determine if you wish to build or resell
- Determine your niche
- Source your pieces
- Take into account your storage needs
- Create an online store
- Take photos in high-resolution
- Raise the profile of your furniture business
Free Easy 7-step guide to Sell Furniture Online
1.Determine if you wish to build or resell
There are numerous routes to the furniture market. Your path will be determined by various factors, including your skillset, financial resources, and access to specific tools. The following sections will discuss popular business models:
• Furniture maker. This entails designing and manufacturing furniture in your workshop or store. You can opt to build and sell a popular type by maintaining inventory or offering custom services that enable customers to purchase certain varieties and features. In addition, you need to have a dedicated workshop, specific tools, and technical abilities as a furniture manufacturer.
• Furniture design. In this arrangement, you do not build the items but rather design them for another manufacturer to create. To design furniture layouts, you may need specific drafting abilities and tools.
• Curator and reseller. With this strategy, you sell various items from various makers or brands. Certain curators specialize in specific types of furniture, such as pieces from a particular design era or brand. Curators must be masters at locating high-quality products that they can sell profitably. You’ll frequently be required to photograph the items, secure them until they sell, and ship them to customers.
• Vintage reseller. Here, you’re concentrating your efforts on old furniture. However, you’ll need an extensive understanding of vintage furniture and a sizable inventory to compete in this business.
• Furniture drop shipper. Dropshipping eliminates the need for you to store or ship the items you collect. You can collaborate with brands and makers who are willing to ship straight to your customers, freeing you from the headache of managing your inventory. You can locate dropshipping partners (e.g., Using ALiexpress dropshipping with Oberlo).
2.Determine your niche (Niche Selection)
Bear in mind that the furniture market is flooded with well-known brands, so you’ll need to carve yourself a niche and establish yourself as the go-to brand for a specific demographic.
Certain furniture shops choose to create and sell one-of-a-kind, handmade items tailored to their customers’ specifications. Others may create furniture entirely from salvaged wood and environmentally friendly materials. Several factors, including the following, will influence your selection of a niche:
• Applications: Interior furnishings, office furnishings, outdoor furnishings, and home accents
• Products: Tables and chairs, lounge chairs, sofa beds, and bed frames
• Style: minimalistic, antique, modern, eco-friendly, and vintage elegant
• Make Modular furniture, smart furniture, and furniture made entirely of recycled materials.
• Target market: budget-conscious students, families, cottage owners, and apartment dwellers
• Cause: Sustainability, ethical sourcing, and artisanal design on a local level
The more narrowly defined your niche, the less competition you’ll face. However, avoid making your niche so narrow that you only receive a few customers.
3.Source your pieces
Your niche and business style determine the method you obtain furniture.
For example, a reseller of historical furniture may source pieces via estate sales, but someone selling contemporary pieces may work directly with a manufacturer.
Additionally, you can look into the following locations while looking to purchase inventory:
• Auctions. Local auctions frequently sell vintage and collectible furniture. Join local social media groups to get informed about local auctions. Additionally, you might check auction websites such as eBay that allow you to browse and bid at your leisure.
• Markets (flea/outdoor). Flea markets occasionally contain undiscovered diamonds for furniture merchants. The earlier you come at the sale, the better your chances of snagging a bargain.
• Collectors. Private collectors might be willing to sell their pieces. You may, however, have to spend a little extra. As you start your name as a furniture merchant, you should inevitably contact collectors.
• Marketplaces for wholesale products. Handshake and similar sites may dig up some hidden gems. Here, sellers from the United States offer one-of-a-kind, on-trend furniture at wholesale costs. The best feature is not requiring a large minimum purchase quantity.
Additionally, furniture drop shippers are aggressively seeking retail partners. For example, you can connect with various furniture merchants by visiting websites like AliExpress. Further, drop shipping agreements with select furniture brands may be available. For instance, Artisan Furniture has a separate page describing its dropshipping program.
4.Take into account your storage needs
Consider storing furniture in your warehouse if you want greater control over your inventory. During the initial phases, your bedroom or garage may act as storage. However, renting an external warehouse is the greatest option if your business grows and your product range expands.
Your furniture store and warehouse choices include the following:
- Renting a climate-controlled storage facility (best for materials like wood and natural fabrics that are susceptible to fluctuations in humidity)
- Collaborating with another business to store large, heavy items such as furniture in a warehouse
- Acquiring a specialized warehouse/storage space.
5.Create an online store
Now that you’ve gathered all of the pieces, it’s time to assemble this puzzle. Your website is the proverbial “witch’s brew.”
Shopify is an excellent platform for developing your online furniture store. It has hundreds of configurable, pre-built themes. Choose the “look” you prefer, then customize it with your branding, colors, fonts, and images.
The eCommerce functionality of Shopify makes accepting payments from practically anywhere in the world simple. Shopify also includes tools to assist you with managing your finances and taxes, depending on your location and product line.
The following not in any order are some tips for developing a successful online furniture store:
• Write irresistible product descriptions. Why not Convince customers that your products are compelling by writing tantalizing product descriptions. Frequently, your product descriptions have the power to make or break a sale. Be descriptive about your pieces: what they’re made of, why they’re unique, and how they differentiate you from your competition.
• Build marketing and sales funnel. Organize your marketing and sales efforts by creating a marketing and sales funnel. Shopify offers a plethora of tools and applications to assist you in generating traffic and converting visitors to customers. Consider techniques like email marketing, search engine optimization, pop-up ads, and loyalty programs.
• Take high-quality photos. Good product photography is crucial. Since customers cannot see or feel the furniture in person, your images must be bright, clear, and thorough to understand what they are purchasing.
• Design an attention-grabbing brand, create a unique logo and brand identification, and then ensure that your brand remains consistent.
6.Take photos in high resolution.
Superior images can assist customers in visualizing your pieces in their homes. Along with the dimensions listed in your product descriptions, clear photos help customers grasp the magnitude of an item. Here are some tips to assist you with photographing furniture:
• Ensure proper lighting. Natural light is critical for successful photography. Ascertain if there is adequate natural light in the space, or consider employing lighting equipment to enhance the image’s quality.
• Share a story. The visuals should sync with the product description to communicate a story about your product. In your image, emphasize whom the product is intended for, how it can be used or positioned, and what related products might complement it. Staging the piece in a space where it is most likely to be found makes sense (for example, a dining table in a dining room). Additionally, including images of actual people of the product might add vital context.
• Experiment with 3D images. Store owners can use website builders such as Shopify to add 3D models and movies demonstrating their products. This allows your customer to view your furniture from various angles, making it easy to assess if it is a good fit for their space.
Other points to bear in mind:
• Close-ups are essential. A close-up enables your customer to appreciate the product’s quality and details. Capture the texture of a sofa’s fabric or the intricate details of a bed frame’s metalwork.
• It is necessary to consider scale. Your customer will want to know the item’s size and shape. For example, take a photograph of it in its natural setting (a bed in a bedroom, for example), with other decorative items (like cabinets and drawers).
7.Raise the profile of your furniture business
With your products, online store, and photographs prepared, you can focus exclusively on marketing your furniture business.
Start by determining the most likely locations for your target audience to engage. For example, suppose you want to position yourself as a stylish, modern furniture brand that caters to a younger demographic. In that case, you will likely succeed on Instagram and similar social media sites. For example, a retailer of designer furniture online may wish to explore launching Facebook advertisements targeted at high-spending customers.
Furniture firms frequently achieve remarkable outcomes through a variety of methods, including:
• Offline advertising. Mailing flyers and special offers to customers might benefit some advertisers, particularly those advertising specialized products such as vintage treasures.
• Content marketing. By writing, producing movies, and sharing podcasts on furniture, you can establish yourself as a thought leader and increase your search engine presence.
• Email marketing. Emails have the potential to convert leads to sales and create recurring customers.
Continue to educate yourself on how to sell furniture online.
While building a brand from the beginning may appear complicated, you’ll realize that it’s doable and enjoyable once you break it down into its component elements.
The critical point is to continue learning. You will not be flawless when you first begin, but you are already on your way to success with an open mind and a willingness to adjust.
You only need to roll up the sleeves, get your hands dirty, and start your online furniture business!
Kindly share it with your friends. Especially, the ones you believe really need this information.
Sharing this information with others can make a huge difference. You may ask why?
Well, the truth is, my main aim is to provide the best information pertaining to drop shipping for both beginners and experienced dropshippers.
And I plan to continue doing so for as long as I can.
I would also like to thank those who support the work I do through reading my content and sharing.
Trust me, when you take your time and share it will help a lot not only for me but also for other people who may really be in need of this information.
Here are some great suggestions:
- Pin it
- Share it on another blog
- Share on Facebook (Share it with friends and even on Facebook groups)
- Tweet it
- Stumble it
This will only take a few seconds of your time and I would really appreciate it.
I appreciate you a lot. Thank you!
Join my Shopify dropshipping group mastermind and follow my blog to learn more about Shopify tips, dropshipping guides, dropshipping tricks and checklists, and e-commerce in general.
If you enjoyed and learned something from this post, you can get updates from me, free of charge!
I send out email newsletters about new posts published on the blog, tips, and tricks to help you grow your dropshipping business, as well as new YouTube videos to give you more insights about the e-commerce market, and much more.
If you enjoyed reading this, you can as well join my Facebook group. Thank you for reading how to make money dropshipping online from the comfort of your home.
Click The Image To Join My Dropshipping Community in Telegram